Finality

Do's, Don't s, Will's and Wont's We decided to rent a much bigger, sturdier tent at Playa Jibacoa for our last few beach days in Cuba, a good decision in hindsight, as the weather changed quite dramatically with the advent of the fuller moon cycle. The wind picked up, it rained and the sea, well became sea...previously pretending to be lake-like. It would be a normal sea for South Africa, if not quite small, but here it's a hurricane. Anyway, Eldorette has one room in the tent and I have the other, both with mattresses on the floor and there is another compartment, the same size as those two combined, which has a us lounger in it, where I happened to be sleeping when I was awoken by some panicked screeching. Eldorette had a crab in her room which had somehow managed to find its way in and was walking around and had brushed her hand. Well, all pandemonium had broken loose. I asked her to hold the torch while I used a plastic bag to capture the beast and throw it outside. In the process it made a scuttling run for it, directly at her. She screamed and jumped onto the sun lounger and I was left in pitch black as the torch's direction was now elsewhere. I eventually cornered it and got it into the bag and let it go outside, only for it to be torn apart by the beach dogs later in the morning. I felt bad, but Eldi felt justified, I think. Cold hearted these chicks from the winelands. I must also apologize for the lack of paragraphs, but it's not my doing. I was confused by the request for paragraphs, as I was always paragraphing my blogs. It seems that from the application into Blogger, the settings seem to paste it as a single paragraph, and I only noticed that in the last one I posted, so apologies for that. So, Cuba has had its fill of me, and visa versa, so here are a few things I would and wouldn't do if I was to return, and perhaps anyone visiting here can take heed of the few following observations I have made in being here for 2 months. Likes 1. The people are warm, caring and hospitable (with the exception of those touched by money and tourist behavioral traits) 2. Immersion into Cuba, away from the tourist routes is interesting, poverty stricken and in a time warp. Hence there is little 'one-upmanship', egos on show and judgemental behavior. 3. Beautiful beaches and warm seas 4. Trees and bird life is amazing 5. The old cars 6. Cheap rum 7. Good coffee 8. Considerate and patient road users 9. Availability of Casa Particulares to stay in most places 10. There were plenty ATMs in most big towns. Dislikes 1. Two rules, one for Cubano's and one for tourists 2. The governmental control on human rights 3. The amount of litter that is everywhere 4. The locals who are very money hungry and will fleece a tourist at any given opportunity 5. The technology 6. Lack of availability of food, water and basic essentials 7. No camping facilities 8. No card usage at all, only cash. Do's 1. Experience Cuba off the traditional tourist trail, it's worthwhile 2. Have a good base of Spanish, it makes life easier. 3. Have your own transport 4. Accept that Cuba is unlike anywhere you have ever been before 5. Try local dishes and delicacies Dont's 1. Believe one persons story over another, they are always different, make a judgement for yourself 2. Pay an excessive amount for something because you are in a tourist area 3. Just stay on the tourist trail, or you may as well go to the Bahamas 4. Expect too much as a westerner, it's 50 years behind in some respects, so just accept it as it is. 5. Flash money and expensive things around, it is unfair and will only make some people want to make money out of you. 6. Impatient 7. Be without your own toilet paper...ever! 8. Only eat chicken if it's fried. Basically if you come to Cuba, try and experience the real Cuba and meet the real Cuban people, it will be the most rewarding thing you have done. Spanish helps in this regard. If you plan to come here and stay in a resort, go big, do the best, most expensive, all inclusive, unique one you can afford, or you are wasting your time and may as well go elsewhere. The service will be better elsewhere, like the West Indian Islands, the price will be the same. Cuba isn't cheaper than anywhere else, no matter what you hear, unless you eat where the locals eat and go, these are not on the tourist routes. The administrative processes here are also very slow and beaurocratic . Make sure if you come you have all documentation in order. Health insurance Visa for 30 days (easy to get online) Exit flight Pre book accommodation if possible. I am looking forward to seeing Mexico now, Cuba has been an amazing journey for me in many regards, but I feel 2 months here has been an overstay for me, just by a small amount, but am glad it was that, rather than too little time, as I was really able to get stuck into the country, as one should do when bike packing and touring off the beaten track. I have had such incredible experiences, across the board, have laughed, cried, written, swum, ridden, made friends, been happy, content, sick, fulfilled, lonely, frustrated, homesick, tired, hungry, exhausted and humbled, all in a day. I don't have one regret about my adventure here. I will carry these memories for all my days, they will be vivid, clear and memorable without exception. I cannot say (well I could, but then you wouldn't get surprised) where or when my next adventure will be or what 2019 will bring, but I hope for the same amount of reward as 2018 has brought, the freedom it has presented for me to grasp and for the demons it has allowed me to bury. I am going to treat Cancun as a holiday and not as travel and let it unwind and unfold as it does. If Penny does or does not get ridden, I am un-fussed. 2018 has been kind to me on the bike and have ridden about 14000 mountainbike kilometers. That is a fair way. Cuba has yielded around 2000km, and Spain was about 1150km. I am arranging Camino bike rides for May and June for groups of 6 all logistics arranged and bed and breakfast accommodation included for R2250pppd. It is a magical ride from Lisbon to the 2nd holiest city in Europe over a 9 days period. The riding is beautiful and fulfilling and a mixture of off-road trails and back road riding for around 750km. Message me if this is of interest anytime and am also happy to customize the trip between May and August for a minimum of 4 people. Happy festive season to all the Christians I have accumulated somehow along the way...haha. Please don't send me wishes of peace, love, light and prosperity for this period, but rather for all the year, every day, that's a much nicer prospect. Have a great 2019 ya all....

Comments

  1. Thank you for all your insights. If you are starting to head north, you could just keep on coming and end up on Vancouver Island. We have a guest room and would love to have you. Love and light, Cassie and Tom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Havana, a wing, Jesus and the Bay Of Pigs

The Gratitude Factor