A Fish Called Wonder...ful

When vultures go flying high above the sea and they are not sea birds, is there a reason? I was watching those vultures soaring high above and thought to myself that if there is one thing I would love to experience, it's that feeling. Maybe it's exactly that, and they do it because they can, and it isn't for the search of food, but cos it's just amazing. It's relaxation time after a hard day, so they go for a swoop in the heavens, can't say I can fault that. So, I am 37 days into my solo journey in Cuba, and all of a sudden, it's my last. I am not sure how I feel about that fact. I recall having 33 days left until Eldorette arrived, then, boom! Time literally flies, but often not when you are in it. I am so looking forward to seeing my mate and actually being able to have a conversation with someone, without needing a fucking ven- diagram and a game of charades. Quite honestly I'm over that now. The other side of the coin is I no longer have carte Blanche on what, when, how or why I do anything. I have become so accustomed to sitting in the moment, sucking up that feeling of discomfort, that I really don't know how good I will be at doing company! I'm sure of one thing, we are going to make the most of the last 3 weeks of Cuba and a week of Mexico. I'm sure we will have some funny stories, experiences and lots of fun as we go. I have made a good friend here at Villa Camping Playa Jibacoa, and will be sad again to say farewell to another very cool dude, who has been so helpful and kind in the last week, helping me with all sorts of stuff, but mostly organising me meals here. I did ,a age to break a tent pole a couple of days ago, so now the 'green hornet' is a bit wonky, but still holds up ok, I'm just not looking forward to the rain, that may cause some problems. I'm not sure either what to expect from Mexico, but at least my small amount of Spanish I have come to learn will hopefully stand me in good stead. At least I can also trade Eldorette in for spare parts for my bike or if we happen upon some dodgy dudes out of 'the Mexican' movie she may gain us some pity. Perhaps there's a Jennifer Aniston strip scene from ' We're The Millers' to get us out of a jam? Since camping on the beach, I realized I haven't actually had a proper shower since staying In Matanzas a week ago, sea and sun, I've turned into a proper beach bum. If you saw the showers here you would understand. No shoes, beard, long hair and a tan, with beads, bracelets and a bike. Not to mention some tattoos. Typical private school boy actually! It's probably good I'm out of socialization, probably wouldn't go down too well at a Constantia brunch! What! I went fishing last night with my new mate. I have worked out what they use those small fish for! His first cast he caught a fish and was going to throw it in an empty bucket to flop around in and make me all queezy, so I managed to get some water in first. After about an hours fishing we still only had the solitary fish. Now what good is one fish for a family, so I offered to buy the fish it's freedom. "How much for me to buy this fish?" "10 Dollars" "How about 5?" "Ok" So I bought one barely alive fish it's freedom and threw him back into the vastness he had been before, back to his fish family and friends, to pass on the story of not eating small left over bits of other small fish if you happen upon them. I went to bed with a sense of lightness that I had saved the life of a beautiful living thing. I've just been to say goodbye and there are 10 other fish strung up from today's fishing, so I realize that that option of buying other fish their lives back is for someone with far deeper pockets than mine. It felt good to do at the time though, but I guess fishing here is for a living and to survive, so there is some merit in not feeling too guilty about it. Up early and off to Havana down the Via Blanca, in time to greet my friend and go out for a well deserved Rum. This journey has been difficult, but has been one of the most rewarding single events I have ever partaken in in my life thus far. It just goes to show, nothing easy is always worth doing, for the vivid memories one gets rewarded with and the sense of achievement far outweighs the stuff one battles with during the process. Worth a thought. Anyway, in Havana again, after a 64km ride in today. Back to the tourist prices again and thankfully only here for one night, then back on the road heading West towards Vinales and San Cristobal. Just also completed my first proper shower in a week, so feeling very squeaky and shiny. Rather pleased with myself currently, so bear with me. It's all perspective... Everybody dies, not everybody lives...even fish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finality

Havana, a wing, Jesus and the Bay Of Pigs

The Gratitude Factor