Use it or don't, but think about Impermanence.

So, impermanence, what does that mean to you? Buddhism will tell you that it is in fact one of three marks of existence. "The doctrine asserts that all of conditioned existence without exception is transient, evanescence, inconstant." For me, I agree somewhat with this( not that they will change anything, due to my thoughts) but also that the term impermanence, which I came across somewhere, sometime in summertime*, has had a profound bearing on how I have come to live my life and manage most things, be they either good or bad. Everything that transpires for me, as I see it, and as it enters my thought process at the time of being, be it fleeting or not, can be linked and managed within the very notion of impermanence. For example, I am climbing a massive hill on my bicycle, or having a really shit time with my friend and we are in a disagreement about something, or I have no money this month to buy what I want, it is all impermanent. It will all end. This may sound obvious to everyone, and perhaps it is, but there is a deeper explanation why it is important to be able to manage ones thoughts in this manner. So why do I think it's important in my life and why does it creep into everything I do now, even if I am trying to just do something random? It has become so ingrained in my subconscious and for that I am grateful. I cannot explain from where this came or why it happened to come to me, or even my perceived understanding of this, but it is pertinent to me and I hope it can be for you too. I guess it allows me to be present. When I say present, I mean it allows for me to realize that the current situation will not be there for ever and hence in that realization I immerse myself more in it and indulge the suffering which I am part of. The good times are less so I suppose. I haven't over examined that because I don't think one dwells on impermanence in a festive, gregarious time with mates at the very instant of it happening, and perhaps that is our error. Maybe that is why we try to re-enact good times, try to redo the fabulous events we have had, and guess what, no surprises here, it is never the same, never as good, and we are always left disappointed. So, what does that tell me, always be in the moment of what I am doing, the thing that hurts, the discomfort of the very moment, be it for that second or lasting an hour. Enjoy the fact that it will not last. Neither will life, neither will anything. It all ends. Knowing the impermanence of it, surely that must change the way we involve ourselves in the very fabric of the event, no? Surely it allows us to be more available in the facilitation of the involvement, currently. Immersed. Not waivering or checking ones cell phone or wondering about some or other thing Trump wrote on Twitter. The mind should be focused on the precise thing at hand, just in case it is missed. What a tragedy, especially if applied across the board to ones entire life, and how easily that could transpire. Miss a moment here, linked to an hour there, to a week a month and boom, you have lost a year thinking about which job you should have, what car you should drive and why Mr. Jones up the block has more successful parties than you. Wasted life. It doesn't matter. Impermanence will suggest that that too shall end. Impermanence...it's a real thing for us all, whether you are a Buddhist or not...just try and be more present, every second of your life. Re-everybody dies, not everybody lives, in a word, impermanence. You control that within your own life) Don't let yourself down. That's a tragic waste. * credit to Simple Minds...sometime in my teens.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finality

Havana, a wing, Jesus and the Bay Of Pigs

The Gratitude Factor