Life Is So Brief, And Time Is A Thief...

I am well aware that the concept of us having one wild precious life, as we have often seen in quotes of wisdom by some or other wise person, is not new or revolutionary, and the fact that some people are somewhat reluctant to ever leave the safety of their comfort zone, may well be ok for them. Perhaps the idea of going on some wild untamed adventure in the name of living life to its fullest, is a bizarre notion that has never been contemplated ever, or if it has, it was well and truly again stored at the back of the mind, for contemplation in another lifetime. A lifetime, when the home and work environment, where we are so comfortable, will not be an accepted norm or an idea which leaves us feeling sated with a life well lived. I am at no point comparing one to the other, or advocating one over another, that is entirely subjective and the choice of each individual, all I am suggesting is the thought about it, and is the status quo an acceptable life for you at the end of the day? I am well aware too that it is an easier option to just not do anything different to what life hands you from day to day, and that that is the hand you are dealt so the is no need to change it, sure that's ok. That is where points of reference come in and perspective about what you really want to have your life be at the end of the day. I imagine that regret is the worst thing to have. When there is a day left of life, and the facade for others to see of how we live our lives, is no longer a concern. When vulnerability sets in, and as reality of imminent death becomes clear and one lets go of all the things we think people think are important in life. Where your child goes to school, what car we drive, what job we have, who we know and socialize with, and this consumerist existence we crave, no longer holds water....then what? I think that must be a horrible realization, that possibly we could have done more and collected less, that is a place I will never want to be. Please don't feel that I am insisting my life is better because this is the path I have chosen, that is for others to judge and not for me to impose upon anyone. It is my life after all and so is it yours and one must do as they think best. So the inspiration around today's blog came from Rod Stewart's song, "Young Turks", and the words (which have struck a chord before) rang out through my headphones as I passed another field of harvested wheat or maize or some or other crop. "Billy left his home with a dollar in his pocket and a head full of dreams. He said somehow, some way, it's gotta get better than this. Patti packed her bags, left a note for her momma, she was just seventeen, There were tears in her eyes when she kissed her little sister goodbye. They held each other tight as they drove on through the night they were so excited. We got just one shot of life, let's take it while we're still not afraid. Because life is so brief and time is a thief when you're undecided. And like a fistful of sand, it can slip right through your hands. Young hearts be free tonight. Time is on your side, Don't let them put you down, don't let 'em push you around, Don't let 'em ever change your point of view." It is always hard to step out of the comfort zone, it's a brave step, no matter what you are aiming to achieve or where you decide to go, but generally, if your heart is pure and you believe in what it is you are doing 100%, then it will always turn out as it should. The first step is difficult, granted, it took me a long time and the stars aligned for me to enable it to happen, and I have doubts all the time, but I know it will be wonderful, it will be dramatic, exciting and an absolute adventure, which will change me as a person, for the better. What more can I ask for, and how amazing is it for me at nearly 50 to have this opportunity. I know the hamster wheel is a disaster to try and exit from, and I'm sure if it wasn't for the commitment to other things, more people would be doing exactly what I'm doing, so for the hamster wheel, perhaps I am slightly grateful. I passed a cemetery today and all I could think about was what the people lying under those tombstones had done in their lives to enhance theirs and others existence on this rock and was it a good life, well lived, and that before we can shake a stick at life, it will be gone....and we will be exactly where those people are. Are you satisfied enough? Remember...everybody dies, not everybody lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finality

Havana, a wing, Jesus and the Bay Of Pigs

The Gratitude Factor