Birds of a feather..

So I was sitting on the roof terrace, drinking beer and watching the sun go down on my last evening in Trinidad, I was messing around and taking some shots with my camera phone and playing with the light and filters, as one does. During the sunset, a whole flock of like racing pigeons were flying around near me, and I actually managed to get them all in a sunset shot, by chance, nah, not really, I was just very patient. After the sun set but it was still light enough to see the birds flying around I started wondering about how amazing it is that they do that. They don't seem to follow one leader or a front bird, they literally wing it, but how? They swoop and change direction and all seem to still stick in a tight bunch and don't veer off in different directions, unlike my army troop did when we were learning to march in basics. These birds, although get divided into separate groups occasionally are well cool in their flying formations. I started imagining in my head that they could talk amongst themselves, how the conversations would go just after I saw 5 of them land on a nearby chimney stack, and the rest (maybe 10-12) were still circling around. "Phew Phil, that was awesome, I have to say, I'm not as fit as I was a couple of years ago, even though I try and stay in the slip stream, it's kinda hard to know which way we are gonna go next, I really need to concentrate, so as not to be in the front." "Ya, Bob, I feel the same hey, my feathers are also not quick and as slick as they once were, fucking old age!" "Hey guys, don't you think we should still be doing some more loops with the other fellas?" "Oh FFS James, you are always such a crowd pleaser!" "That's a bit uncalled for Lance, I mean you're always the one trying to impress Janet with your lean chest and wide tail spread." "You're right, I'm sorry James, why don't we try and get back to the group for a few more fly byes, perhaps Janet is watching, and if not her, maybe our owner is checking out who is slacking off in training before next weekends big race" "Good point Lance, we can't afford to get sold off for meat to that restauranteur who keeps coming by and pointing at us when we are all coup-ed up!" "Ok, so on three we head off, one, two, go" Bob and Phil fly off to return soon after... "WTF guys, why didn't you come? "Well you said on three! Nobody said three!" Ok, fuck it, let's just go, ready? Go! All 5 fly off and rejoin the flock for a few more minutes and then 2 return to the stack... "Jesus, I'm seriously out of shape" "Ya, me too bud, maybe we need to do some stuff on the side, just so we can get our levels up and avoid the restauranteur." " Great idea Phil, I'm in, fuck being tourist food!" The two sit around for a few minutes and the flock disappear of sight... "Should we start now, just a few laps and then call it a day?" "Cool" says Phil with a nod and off they fly... I watch as they fly around, but now neither of them wants to lead or be in front, so the direction is not very good and they are not really in sync or flying as a unit. All of a sudden, cos the sun has gone down, a small bat, intersects their path and they separate and then rejoin, looking around in panic. "Jesus Phil, that fucker nearly flew into me! "I saw that, fuck sakes, maybe he just wanted to join in for a few rounds?" "Nah, those little guys don't have the wingspan for our kind of work, nor the tail flare for that matter!" "They are also batshit crazy, would have been blind luck for him to stay on course with us athletes!" "Flying by sonar, ya, fuck that for a joke!" I have to say I was giggling watching these doves after I started thinking what they were saying, and no, I'm not pissed. As the guys from Crash Test Dummies sang... "How does a duck know, what direction South is, and how to find his wife from all the other ducks?"...and we humans think we are so smart... Tomorrow I head off from Trinidad, who knows where, I am letting fate and the universe decide for me. I am heading towards Sancti Spiritus, sounds like a fun kinda town...for an aetheist. I have found a real affinity to Trinidad, the energy here is good, perhaps it's because it's an old town, founded in 1504 I think. It's very historical and perhaps I am drawn to that old stuff more. I'm not sure how it all works, but I just go with how my gut feels, and that's usually a good way to make decisions. There is a reason it's called gut feel. The idea is to experience a bit more of the North Coast and hopefully pick up some tailwind heading West. I may pop in to Veradero for some fun and a bit of beach time, but really depends on each moment as it unfolds. I also want to go back to Playa Jibacoa and spend some time camping there on the beach, I liked it and was gone too quickly. I may be out of touch for a bit, but will be back again in a week or so with an update, some more pigeon dialogue perhaps, or something else that I find funny and amusing, I hope you did too. Here's one of my poems I have decided to share, I hope it's to your liking? It's up to you... Sometimes life deals us bad hands, cruelty and sadness We must remember that we are responsible for our own gladness Not money or things can make our life brighter It comes from the heart to make it all lighter Focus on the best, sunsets are free, never the same Take in the world, your gift is life, so get in the game Show kindness it's free, don't judge others or preach To those less enlightened, be patient and teach Them that even their lives can be better By following these steps, each one to the letter. Remember that before you utter words of hate Everybody has a story, a passage, journey or fate They have come to cross your path for a reason Be it for a day, a month or for a season. These souls have their place too on this rock A purpose, to heal, to learn, to teach or to shock Their journey is what it is, let them be on their way You can chose-do they go, or do they stay. People will come and go as you travel through Life, but how you chose to respond, that's up to you. Be present and mindful, let your journey unfold It's a beautiful adventure for you to behold All one needs is to get ones mindset right To maximize this gift and to avoid your plight. Love and laugh, be considerate to others On your way up be nice to all your brothers As going down can be far if you have been greedy, Unfair, cheated, stolen, not given to the needy You make your way and it's up to you, your call If you're going to rise or how you are going to fall. Life can be hard, can tragic for sure But stay strong, keep fighting be bold and endure What treasures and pleasures it can reveal to you If you keep your faith, believe as you do With thoughts which are pure from an open heart Things will happen for you down each road you depart You will see wonders aplenty and sights for sore eyes Just adapt your ways and no doubt have surprise By the power of the universe, how it can deliver To both strong and the weak, it can sure make you quiver. Everybody dies, not everybody lives, so be sure to keep the feathers in check, the chest plumped up, just in case there's a Janet on the horizon, or a restauranteur, for that matter. In my experience, avoid those if possible, they bite.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finality

Havana, a wing, Jesus and the Bay Of Pigs

The Gratitude Factor